Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Beauty of a Name

I thought I would very briefly explain a little about my blog's name. It's funny talking about my blog like it's a pet. But the name was chosen for very specific reasons. I believe in names. I love the meanings of names. I love how in the bibical times a person's name was who they were. The parents of a new born would take one look at their new child and give him/her the name they best saw fit. Or perhaps a particular situation at or around the time of the birth would determine the name. Perhaps too, I like names because my name means something very particular to my situation. My real name is Kevin Nathanael Vollema. This is the only time I will use that full name. But my name means literally: "kind and gentle gift from God."
11 months before I was brought into the world, my parents lost their first child shortly before he was due to be born. Not an easy thing for any young, newly-married couple to grieve. But 3 months after this painful event, news of another pregnancy filled my parents once again with hope. Thus, when I was born, a healthy baby boy, my parents could not think of any better meaning for my name.
All this is to properly lead in to the reason for my blog's name.
Restoration. This has been a word on my mind a lot lately. I like what it stands for: something was that no longer is and now needs to be brought back. It is filled with hope and wonder. But also sacrifice and time-effort.
Journal. This word carries with it a lot of weight. As I wrote in my first blog, I enjoy writing. And I am at a point in my life when journaling is quite important to my survival. There is so much going on in my head 24/7 that I just need an adequate place to "let it out." I finally brought myself to buying a journal over this past summer and have been exploring the fruit of its use ever since.
You might notice all the letters are lower case, save for one: the "J." The "J" stands for something very near to me. The "J" stands for Jesus Christ. All other letters take second billing to this single letter and the hope I have found behind it.
Hidden within this name -- restoration:Journal -- is everything I am about. And hopefully you will see that play out as these blogs continue.

No comments: